Quebec City employees at work with symptoms of COVID-19

Some Quebec City employees who showed up for work with symptoms of COVID-19 forced the administration to issue a call to order this week, as the course of the pandemic has become “dangerous.” »In the capital, by the own admission of the mayor Régis Labeaume.



Posted on March 31, 2021 at 9:32 p.m.


Henri Ouellette-Vézina
Press

“Recently, several interventions were necessary with employees who did not comply with preventive measures in the workplace. Also, employees came to the workplace with symptoms related to COVID-19, which constitutes a high risk failure for the health and safety of our employees, ”writes the general management of the City, in a report. internal press release sent to all employees on Tuesday, including Press got copy.

We learn that instructions were given to managers to “take the necessary measures” and “ensure compliance with preventive measures by all employees.” It will be necessary “to intervene quickly in the face of shortcomings or inadequate behavior in the current context”, we read in the opinion in question. The City affirms that it is of capital importance to “maintain the level of service of the City”, especially in the context of the strong transmission of the variants considered more contagious.

Management adds that “considering the possible serious consequences of non-compliance with measures”, a “zero tolerance policy” must be applied in all departments. “This non-compliance directly contravenes the worker’s obligations provided for in paragraphs 2 and 3 of article 49 of the Act respecting occupational health and safety (LSST),” insists the administration.

This recalls in passing that managers “must inform labor relations of any breach” so that the latter “assess whether a disciplinary process should be initiated”. “We are counting on you to remain vigilant and to continue your efforts to limit outbreaks in your workplace,” they insist.

All employees are encouraged to report their state of health “as soon as symptoms appear”. It is also recommended to do this if symptoms appear in someone living in the same household, or if you or your loved ones have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive.

A city put “on hold”

It all comes as late Wednesday afternoon, the Quebec region was put “on hiatus” by the provincial government, just like that of Lévis and Gatineau. The curfew will be reduced to 8 p.m. and schools and non-essential businesses will close their doors until April 12.

Earlier in the day, the mayor of Quebec Régis Labeaume had suggested that the evolution of the pandemic in the capital has simply become “dangerous”. “I said last week that we were in the process of dropping it, and we totally escaped it,” he dropped during a press briefing.

Indeed, the Quebec region reports more than 100 new cases per day and “we are approaching 200 cases”, he said. Mayor Labeaume also called on the population to be “very careful”. On Wednesday morning, the public health of the Capitale-Nationale had also ordered the closure of the Méga Fitness Gym fitness center in Quebec City, after an outbreak that would have left at least 68 cases of COVID-19.

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

PREV “My confined city”: Tarik Laghdiri, 36, tells about life under Covid-19 in Seine-Saint-Denis
NEXT Covid-19: more than 50,600 new contaminations and 308 deaths in 24 hours in France